Move to Spain from USA
Are you an American citizen and want to move to Spain from the USA? We help you with all the procedures so that you can move to Spain immediately.
Move to Spain with the help of experts in international mobility and relocation.We have been carrying out removals to Spain from all over the world for over 30 years.
Ask now for your free moving budget and find out how you can move to Spain.
Moving to Spain from USA
Is moving to Spain from USA a good idea? There are many people who want to move to Spain from USA. Because of its quality of life and the pleasant climate of the territory, Spain is one of the most recommendable countries for Americans who are considering moving to Spain.
Is Spain a cheap country to live in?
Compared to other European capitals, Spain is a cheap country to live in. Although there may be differences in the cost of housing, food, clothing and transport between the different Spanish regions.
Compared to the USA, US citizens consider Spain to be cheap to live in.
How much money do you need to move to Spain from USA?
It is possible to move to Spain from the USA and live for less than 1,000 euros per month and live comfortably in the country for less than 18,000 euros per year.
The cost of the move will depend on the volume of the move, the type of transportation, the dates chosen and the destination in Spain. A move to Spain from the USA can cost an average of 5,000 euros
Is it hard to move to Spain from USA?
Moving to Spain may seem complicated at first, but with the right help it will be very easy to settle in the Spanish territory.
Some aspects to take into account when moving to Spain are Finding housing (owned or rented) in Spain, obtaining a visa, proper planning, and mentally preparing for the culture shock, since the American and Spanish cultures are different from each other.
What do I need to do to move to Spain from USA?
If you are moving to Spain for work from the USA, you must apply for a Spanish work visa.
If you are moving to Spain after retirement, you will need to apply for a slightly different residency visa and prove that you have sufficient funds to settle in Spain.
Procedures for living in Spain
U.S. citizens who want to move to Spain to live, work or study will need to obtain a visa from the Spanish Embassy in their home state prior to moving to Spain. Upon arrival in Spain, you will have three months to apply for the corresponding permit at the Spanish Ministry of Interior.
After living in Spain for five years, you can apply for the right to permanent residence in the EC. This will allow you to live and work in Spain, and in the rest of the EU, for as long as you wish.
If, after ten years of living in Spain, you want to officially call it home, you can apply for Spanish citizenship. You will then have the same rights as Spanish citizens, including the right to vote. In some cases, this can happen in a shorter period of time – for example, if you marry a Spanish citizen. Applications mean that you must give up your U.S. citizenship.
Work permits to live and work in Spain
If you are an American, you will need permission from the Spanish government to live and work in Spain. This means that you must apply for a work visa.
To apply for a work permit to live in Spain, you must complete the corresponding application form and submit the following documents to the Immigration Office:
- copy of your passport
- criminal record
- medical certificate
- three passport-size photographs
- your NIE (if you are already in the country)
- your employer’s social security number
- job offer with working conditions
- a complete description of the job and the company’s activity
- proof of your employer’s financial assets (if necessary)
- and the corresponding application form for a work permit visa for Spain.
Once the move to Spain has been made…
You will have to:
- Register at the Foreigners Office
- Obtain a Social Security number
- Applying for a TIE (Foreigner’s Identity Card) The TIE comes with a tax identification number
Residence permits for living in Spain
There are many types of temporary residence permits. For US citizens or citizens moving to Spain from the USA to work, a work visa will suffice.
If the U.S. citizen is not moving for work, he or she would need a nonprofit residence visa, proving that he or she has sufficient economic means to subsist during the time he or she wishes to stay in Spain.
To apply for a temporary residence permit, an initial authorization with the corresponding documents and forms is required.
In order to obtain a permanent residence permit as a citizen of the USA, you need to:
- Have lived in Spain for at least 5 years
- Applying for a permanent or long-term residence permit
- Applying for a long-term residence for the European Union (this is an alternative to permanent residence and allows you to live and work in Spain and the EU member states)
What is the average rent in Spain?
If you are thinking of moving to Spain from the USA, considering renting a home may be a good option. The price of renting a property in Spain is around 600 euros.
The price of renting a property in Spain can vary depending on the city in Spain where the property is located and the state of the property.
If you are moving to cities and towns far from the main cities of Spain, you can find housing for rent for less than 400 euros.
What is the average price of a house in Spain?
The average price of a house in Spain per square meter is 1,500 euros
Depending on the area of Spain to which you are moving from the USA, the price of the house will go down or up. Moving and buying a house in the main cities of Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao…) is more expensive than buying a house in municipalities farther away from metropolitan areas or in rural environments.
Where should I move to in Spain?
If you want to make your move from the USA, these are some of the best cities to live in Spain for expatriates and US citizens:
- San Sebastian
Moving Service to Spain from USA
We carry out moving services to Spain from USA. If you want to move to Spain from USA, we take care of all the procedures related to moving:
- Preparation of free moving budget to Spain with information on the price of the move.
- Packaging of your belongings, furniture and all kinds of objects that you want to take with you in your international move to Spain
- Transportation of furniture and equipment to your next place of residence in Spain
- We carry out the unpacking and assembly of furniture in the chosen moving destination in Spain
- We deal with the management of customs procedures and other documents necessary for moving to Spain from USA
- Advice by our agents on issues related to moving
- Storage service in our warehouses in the main cities of Spain
Associated moving services to Spain
We offer complementary services of international removals, to cover all the needs you may have during your move to Spain from USA.
- Relocation services: We look for your home, we guide you in your new city and we deal with immigration and taxation procedures when you move to Spain from USA.
- International vehicle transport: We transport your vehicle to your next place of residence in Madrid. We perform export services to Madrid and import vehicles to Spain from USA.
- International pet transport: We take your pet to Spain so you can be together in your new home after your move from USA
- Art transport: We offer logistic services for the transport of your works of art to Spain.
Information about the Spanish Embassy in the USA and its Consulates
The Spanish government has consulates throughout the United States. Their mission is to offer various legal-administrative services valid in Spain to Spanish citizens, and also to foreign persons with some connection to Spain (including the issuance of visas). There are consulates in Washington, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, San Francisco and San Juan de Puerto Rico.
Directory of Spanish Consulates in the USA: https://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/WASHINGTON/en/consulates/Paginas/default.aspx
The Embassy of Spain is located in Washington, D.C. (2375 Pennsylvania Ave, NW. http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/WASHINGTON/en/Embajada/Pages/Directory.aspx
Advantages of moving to Spain from the USA with us
MovingToSpain is supported by Mudinmar, a Spanish international moving company, with more than 30 years of experience in the global mobility and moving sector.
Being a Spanish company, we know all the procedures needed to make moves from USA to Spain:
- We obtain the necessary documentation for your move to Spain
- We offer support with legal immigration and tax procedures
- We help you to settle in Spain through our relocation services (house search, city tour, guide at destination…)
- We move your car or vehicle from the USA to Spain
- We manage all customs procedures and formalities